Sharing something new

This weekend my dad visited Seattle for the first time. We did a ton of stuff and walked a lot during the entire weekend, but we kicked the whole trip off with a trip to Paseo where we had dinner, followed by hockey practice. In typical fashion, my dad of course had many pointers for me about running practices and the types of drills I should be doing, and don’t worry, I’ve already got the notes in my coaching binder.

On Saturday, I took pappa to the boathouse, where he would watch me row for the first time. We started off the practice a little bit differently: with a 1k erg test. It was a tough way to start, and I think it’s safe to say that we were all exhausted by the end of it, but soon enough we had our boat assignments and we were heading out on the water. It was fun having pappa there, and I could tell he was having a great time out on the launch, taking pictures and looking at the city from a different angle. I rowed stroke seat, and we did another 1k in the water. After practice, we made a beeline across the lake to Louisa’s where we had brunch. As usual, it was pretty damn delicious and I sure miss going there once a week.

Once we got home, I showered and then got ready to head out to Fremont for Octoberfest. Before going to the festival though, we had some time and stopped at MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry), and walked around for a while, learning more about Seattle’s history and the surrounding area. To cap the night off we had dinner at a local restaurant before getting to bed early.

Sunday morning we woke up, immediately went to get breakfast at Diablo Coffee Co., and then drove to the rink for another morning of on ice fun. Once hockey was over, it was time for football. It had turned into a beautiful sunny day after a cloudy morning, so we had lunch at a Laredo’s, watched the first half of the Seahawks game, and then started walking towards downtown. We hit all the main spots: Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, and also took a ride on the monorail (which was also my first time on it). While at lunch we had decided that we should head up the Space Needle that night because it would prove to have some awesome views. Boy, were we right about that.

On the drive back from hockey practice, we had caught glimpses of Mount Rainier, but when we got to the top of the Space Needle, you could see it clear as day. it was stunning. All of the clouds from the morning had cleared, and we could actually also see Mount Baker to the north as well. We stayed for a half hour or so at the top, watching as the sun was setting and the wind was picking up. It’s beautiful, and really nice to be able to go up to the Space Needle with someone when you can see everything so clearly; it’s absolutely worth it on days like that.

I’ve got one more afternoon of rowing on the lake before dad heads back to the east coast tomorrow morning. We’re gonna head over a little bit earlier so that we can stop by the Ballard locks too. I’m so glad he was able to come out and see what my life is like out here on the west coast, and how beautiful it can really be. I’m sure that he’ll be back at some point, either to escape the really cold winters in NY, or the really hot summer days. Next time, we’ll get to do all of the other things that we didn’t have time for, like Discovery Park, West Seattle and Alki Beach, Volunteer Park, and Ballard.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s