Final Destinations

It was finally the day, we were going to be driving the last few hours from Portland to Seattle. We woke up, showered, and went to a small breakfasty diner a few blocks over. As we were paying for our meals, the cashier looked at Mike’s card, and goes “Falco! That’s an awesome last name” and then gave us our receipts. Before completely leaving Oregon, I wanted to go and check out a nearby attraction that everyone else goes to when they’re in the area: Multnomah Falls.

It was only a half hour or so east of Portland, so we made our way down the highway until we found the parking lot that was lodged between the two lanes. We could see the falls from the parking lot, but obviously we had to go and see them for ourselves. It was really beautiful, and we tried to capture as much of it as possible before determining that it was nearly time to keep on moving. I gotta say, it was nice to know that we could take our time and relax a bit on this drive since it was only a few hours.

Before getting to Seattle, I wanted to stop at Home Depot with my personal handyman, and have him help pick out a few basic tools; call it a construction starter kit. We quickly enough found what we needed and then some (queue the classic orange Home Depot bucket), and continued the drive up north.

I got excited when we started getting closer; we passed Tacoma and drove past the dome where I’d seen a few concerts while I was on co-op. I still remember how I saw Maroon 5 perform “Sugar”, and then 2 months later Luke Bryan, Randy Houser, and Dustin Lynch, did their own cover of it. We made our way up a hill and there it was: the Seattle skyline. Seeing it again was relieving in a way because we’d been travelling for so long it was nice to finally reach out destination. We passed the Safeco and CenturyLink fields, went through the tunnel the goes under downtown, and when we came out we saw Lake Union and Queen Anne to our left. Finally we pulled up to my apartment and I was home.

We unloaded the car fairly quickly, I had done a pretty good job of packing as efficiently as possible if you ask me, and then took a quick break while we started figuring our what we were going to do next. It was only 6pm at this point and we still had plenty of time to walk around, and more importantly find a place to eat for dinner.

Even though we were going to have a complete day to walk around the city, I figured it would be a nice long walk to go all the way down to Pike Place, and back. As we walked down we of course passed the entire Amazon campus, as well as Northeastern’s Seattle campus on Terry Ave. We got to Pike Place and it was empty, the market does close at 5pm every day so we were well after the time of seeing anyone. Once we got there we evaluated our dinner options before I suggested we head back to Amazon and go to a restaurant I’d been to once before called Brave Horse Tavern. It’s a one of a kind burger joint that’s started by Tom Douglas, a famous chef. Dinner was pretty amazing and we even sampled some new beers that we’d never tried before, discovering in the process that we both enjoy sours.

We walked back at our own pace and unpacked just enough before heading to bed for the night. I had a busy day planned for the two of us, having to hit all of the major areas in one day was going to be a challenge, but I couldn’t wait to show Mike around my new home.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s