Full Steam Ahead

It took my mom five and a half months, but she finally made it out to the west coast. It was three and a half days, jam packed with activities; literally, we woke up at 6:30am every morning and didn’t make it to bed until 11pm.

Just after 7pm on Thursday, mom drove up to True North. Since she got there a bit earlier than expected, I had bought tickets to head up in the Space Needle later that night. There’s nothing like heading to a big tourist attraction on your first night in a city. During my senior year of high school, my mom and I went to London and Paris during spring break. On our first night in Paris, we went to the Eiffel Tower. It started the vacation off very nicely. It had been cloudy all day, but the two hours before sunset, the clouds had parted and made way for a beautiful sky. We got to the top just as the sun was setting over the Olympic Mountains past Elliott Bay.

The next morning we woke up early and walked over to a breakfast place in Pike Place Market, a French bakery called “Le Panier”. We shared a ham and cheese sandwich and a chocolate croissant. Yum.
Friday was our hiking day, since the weekend was going to be filled with concerts and lacrosse. We headed out towards the Cascades at 1pm, missing all of the Friday afternoon traffic, and made our way out to Snoqualmie Falls. It was our first stop of three. Then we made our way to the hike we were going to tackle: Rattlesnake Ledge. I had hiked this back in February and knew that the views at the top were going to be worth it. You can see the Ledge where we would hike to from the parking lot, and my mom looked up, looked back at me, back at the mountain, and said “we’re going up there? No!”. Yes indeed. We started hiking and made it to the top in 55 minutes. We enjoyed the views, and a quick snack, and thought about what we were going to do next. We knew there was going to be traffic on our way back to Seattle if we drove home any time between 5 and 7. So we did what anyone would have done; we went on another hike.

Knowing that there was only a few more hours of sunlight, we headed to Poo Poo Point, a fan favorite, and one I knew we could tackle in two hours. Poo Poo was definitely a lot difficult than Rattlesnake was, but I think the fact that we had already hiked a whole mountain may have played a part in the speed at which we hiked the second one. Poo Poo Point is a launching pad for paragliders, and we were lucky enough to see two paragliders take off down Tiger Mountain. It’s definitely something that is on my bucket list. On our way up to the summit we had talked about dinner and what we would do, and we had made the wise decision to stop by a Five Guys on the way back home. The burger and fries kept us going all the way back to my car, and our bellies were full as we drove back down I-90 into Seattle.

On Saturday morning, my lacrosse team had a game on Bainbridge Island, which would require a 30 minute ferry ride. In order to get on the island as early as possible, we rolled into the Ferry Dock at 7:20am. The ride over went by pretty quickly, and all of the girls were excited about hanging out together on the boat. When we touched down on shore, priority one was getting breakfast. With some recommendations from friends, we headed to the Blackbird cafe, where the muffins were spectacular and the coffee was warm. After breakfast we drove over the fields where I coached my girls during their best game of the season. They played really strong defense, talked well, and a they had a lot of fun in the process. We ended up losing 9-7, but the fact that the girls were able to stick with this team for the entire game was awesome. Once we were back on Seattle ground, we walked to Pike Place Market, sampled some local goods, and then made our way down to Pioneer Square where we took the Underground Tour. It’s definitely given me a lot of different ideas for how to run my tours when I’m back at Northeastern. The history of Seattle is fascinating, even if it is just 160 years old. Back in March, I had bought tickets to see Luke Bryan and Randy Houser at the Tacoma Dome for this weekend. I had to buy two tickets, so it was a good reason for my mom to come and visit. That was how we spent our Saturday night. After an awesome dinner at Radiator Whiskey, we went home, changed and hit the road to Tacoma. We got to the Dome just in time for the concert to start, and as soon as Dustin Lynch took the stage, I knew that it was going to be a great night. Dustin Lynch killed it, and soon after Randy Houser took the stage. I knew he would be good, but I had no idea he would be THAT good. If you get the chance, go see Randy Houser in concert, he is an amazing musician and singer. Finally, Luke came on stage and brought the house down. I had previously seen him last August in Saratoga, only 10 months ago, so I had an idea of what to expect. Luke sang many of the same songs, and, of course, ended with Country Girl; and we all shook it for him. The highlight of the night though, was when Luke brought Dustin and Randy onstage, and they sang a slowed down acoustic version of Maroon 5’s “Sugar”. It was amazing. Only seven weeks ago I had seen Adam Levine jam out to that same song, and here I was, back in the same venue, listening to a different rendition of that song. The concert ended and we drove home and quickly fell into bed.

Sunday morning I had yet another lacrosse game, and I wanted to make sure that we got breakfast and this little coffee shop at the top of Queen Anne. After a quick breakfast I headed down to the field, and coached the girls to a great win over a good team. We have one more game, and a jamboree left before the season ends. I have two more weeks with these girls, and I can’t wait to see what happens at the end. I had told my mom about all of the hot yoga classes that I’ve been taking, and she really wanted to try it while she was out here. We took HPF, my favorite class, and she did really well for her first time. The last thing on our list before mom drove to the airport was to go out for brunch. The place we were going to go to had a line, so we walked down the street and talked about the weekend over a BLT and some eggs benny. It was a great relaxing end to a long weekend. After she left, I got into bed and took a 40 minute nap, just enough to recharge me for the rest of the day.

 Getting to show my mom around Seattle was so much fun. It was so cool to be able to show her what I do every day, how busy I am, and where I walk on a day to day basis. I had an awesome weekend, and I hope she did too.

Love you mamma, thanks for finally making it out to visit!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s