Shipped up to Boston

Play this video, and start reading,

This weekend, I shipped up to Boston for a much needed break. I’m a third of the way through coop, and I hadn’t seen  my family in two months, so it was time for a visit. I got in at 1030pm on Friday night, and from that point forward, it was all hugs and smiles. I haven’t stopped grinning all weekend. As I’m writing this, I’m sitting at the airport, waiting to board my flight back to the west coast, and even so, I’m cherishing the last few hours I have in Boston.

I couldn’t have asked for a better weekend with some of my best friends. After I got to my apartment and settled in, I went up to Mission Hill to meet up with the first batch of friends that I had scheduled time for that weekend (I’m not kidding when I say I had times blocked off in my calendar of when I was going to see who). Thanks to the time change, I stayed up until 3am before finally falling asleep. I think my mind knew that I needed to enjoy as much of the weekend as possible because I woke up at 830am on Saturday morning, ready for an exciting day filled with hockey. Met up with a friend for breakfast, and then headed over the Copley Square where I met my parents for lunch. It was so great to be able to see my parents again, both of whom I’d missed so much. We chowed down on Chipotle and drove to my brother’s school because we had some hockey sticks to give him, and it was probably the only time that I would be able to see him. I’m not joking when we hugged it out for a solid five minutes. My family was the real reason I had come out to Boston in the first place; my brother had his senior game that day at Nobles, and I didn’t want to miss it.

My parents and I hung around for a few hours (I bought myself some new Nike sneaks which I am really excited to wear), and then headed over to Nobles for the game. It was a quick ceremony, but I’m happy that I was there for it, as the official photographer.


Even though the boys lost 5-1, I’m still so proud of this kid and how he’s grown over the past four years.

It was finally time for hockey night at Matthews. Northeastern vs. BU in the final game of the regular season. I practically ran up the stairs and ambushed every single person I saw. Hugs were doled out throughout the evening and I was able to catch up with every single person that I wanted to see. My DogHouse friends, Athletics and GoNUxstream staff, pep banders, and even some classmates that I missed welcomed me with open arms and giant smiles. You all made the weekend fantastic. Unfortunately it wasn’t the outcome we were hoping for as the boys couldn’t pull it together and lost 6-1 to the damn Terriers, but the season is far from over and the boys have a ton of hockey left to play.

After the game we went out and had a fantastic time at the two local bars: Conor Larkins and Punters Pub. We played card games, ate nachos, mingled with the athletes, and after a few hours, were ready to head home. I got back to my apartment and immediately fell asleep on the couch, happy to be seeing even more people the next morning.

Sunday morning started off with first breakfast of french toast and pancakes at my friends place in West Village. I didn’t eat too much because just an hour later I was headed to Mike’s City Diner for second breakfast with my fellow Intramurals supervisor. She was kind enough to have bought me a Patriots SuperBowl Championship hat to bring back to Seattle, so I can show my true colors. After second breakfast, I went home, packed up my bag, and headed over to Matthews arena. I had said that if the women’s team went to game three in their best of three playoff series, that I would call the game. Low and behold, I was back in front of the camera today, shaking off the rust as fast as I could. It was the girls very last home game of the season, and in typical Northeastern fashion, it was nerve racking until the buzzer. The girls ended up winning 4-3, and I’m so happy that I got to end my weekend in Boston spent in Matthews.

I’m not lying when I say that it is my home, and it always will be. It’s my favorite place in Boston, and the place where I’ve made some of my best friends. From my very first semester on campus being spent in the Pep Band during the mens games, to being on the ice for club hockey practices and intramural officiating, to working upstairs commentating and downstairs sidelining, I’ve gone through so much in that building, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for me senior year.

So now that I’ve gone through the weekend, and I’m sitting here waiting to board, I want to say my thank yous.

To my friends: Thank you all for making this weekend amazing. I miss you all so much and I cannot wait until the next time that I get to see you. Scott, Ryan, Kristina, Mike, Cole, Jake, Austin, Michelle, Casey, Chuck, Smertz, Jackie, Josh, Dylan, Chris, Anna, Matt, Andy, Al, Erika, Megan, Peter, Griffin, Jules, Justin, Nate, Rob, Ben, Lexie, Jordan, Natalie, and to anyone else I missed, I love all of you.

To my family: You are the best I could ask for. Thank you for your everlasting support. I don’t know where I would be without you. I love you.

To Boston: Thank you for being a most amazing city. Being back for a weekend reminds me how much I love being here. Sure, you’ve got my three least favorite sports teams, but lets forget about that focus how awesome it is to be able to go to college in such an awesome place. Can’t wait to be back.

If any of you ever find your way out to Seattle, let me know, because I can’t wait to see you all again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s